- Children’s programs have been a mainstay of the Herr Memorial Library’s services for nearly 70 years, and as educational standards and practices have improved, so has children’s programming. Because “Story Time” no longer accurately reflects the content and educational value of the creative early-learning programs offered by the staff, the library offers free Discover programs on Wednesday and Thursday mornings before the library is open to the public.
- The library’s Discover program for infants from birth to 18 months of age is held on Wednesdays at 9:30 a.m. during the school year. It features the use of simple stories, rhymes, and songs. Since they are held by their parents and caregivers during the program, infants also begin to associate reading with comfort and security. In addition, adults learn from library staff how to continue teaching early-literacy skills at home.
- Discover for toddlers ages 18 months to 3 years is held on Thursdays at 9:30 a.m. during the school year. It includes many of the same activities, along with the addition of some hands-on activities that include simple musical instruments.
- The library’s Discover program for preschoolers ages 3 to 5 who are not yet in kindergarten is held on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 10:10 a.m. during the school year. It includes all of the above activities along with a focus on learning specific skills such as color, shape, and letter recognition through a variety of activities.
For more information about Discover, call 966-0831, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the library at 500 Market Street in Mifflinburg. Herr Memorial Library is open from 7 to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday, and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday.
- Summer Discover is held June 27 through August 15 on Thursday mornings. Baby Discover for children ages birth to 18 months is held at 9:30 a.m. and Preschool Discover for children ages 18 months to 5 years is held at 10:10 a.m. Call 570-966-0831 to register.
- Along with Discover the Herr Memorial Library offers special programs featuring the theme “Dig Into Reading” on Thursdays at 7:15 p.m. Visit the Calendar for more information!
I Love to Read! Kid’s Challenge
- Throughout the year, the Herr Memorial Library supports the “I Love to Read” children’s reading challenge. Each month, children are encouraged to read books on specific topics related to that month’s theme. For each book completed, children can enter a prize drawing! For more information, visit the library and pick up a monthly calendar, available in the lobby!